Tuesday, July 31, 2012

"Holiday House Restaurant"


I love this! My hubby and I were trying to find some old pics of High Springs, FL (the town we love so much) and found this old postcard. Today, the building is still standing and holds a dive shop and a pawn shop, but this is truly remarkable. The fifties-shaped signs and the those beautiful cars are no longer parked out front by the original building still stands on Hwy 441.

We never knew that the building that houses the Cave Country Dive Shop or the Old Irishman's Pawn Shop was actually a restaurant at one time. We were able to place the location of the Holiday House Restaurant by the building next to it in the photograph. It says on the back of the postcard that there are 5 motels within walking distance and that is still true today, though only 3 are opened for business, one is for sale, and one houses apartments.

This is truly charming to see and I've a new love for my town. So much history in one place it's overwhelming, infused with the beauty of the springs and rivers, High Springs really is a great place to be since 1883.

Check out my reading/writer blog: http://adventuresoflifeandliterature.blogspot.com/

See my Author profile website: http://jeanettepekala.com/

Follow me on Twitter: @jeanettepekala

or on Facebook: It's Always Sunny in High Springs

Happy Travels,

Jeanette Pekala

No comments:

Post a Comment