Tuesday, July 12, 2011

"A Nice Place To Be Since 1883"


 The historic charm of High Springs, FL always warms my heart. Seven years ago, I was at the University of Florida attending as a student. I needed to take a science lab for my degree. I luckily stumbled across the most awesome lab ever. It was a geology lab that was once a week. The awesome thing about it was that all the class was was a series of field trips to local geological sites. I thought graduating grade school would cure me of school field trips, but nope. I loved going on field trips even as a sophomore in college.

High Springs happened to be one of the places we visited while enjoying these field trips. From the very second our caravan of college students drove through downtown High Springs...I was hooked. The charming downtown called to me. The people browsing shops and dining in the one of a kind restaurants. The country feel to the outskirts and of course the natural wonders that sprawl throughout the city. A city that spans three counties. The population is between 4,000 and 5,000 residents, but people come from all around to enjoy swimming, diving, tubing, boating, canoeing, hiking, and camping in the natural wonder of High Springs.

When my husband returned from Iraq after his first deployment, we were eligible for the VA loan. Since I was nearly done with my degree and our lease was almost up on our apartment, we decided to search for a home to buy. We both grew up in the Fort Lauderdale area of south Florida, so we were used to the city. After seeing what home prices were in the Gainesville area, we knew all we could afford was a small condo.

So, we figured to look just outside the city of Gainesville. I kept thinking about those field trips I took with my geology lab over two years prior and couldn't stop thinking about High Springs. We found tons of listings in High Springs for single family homes. From historic homes to new homes. We found an adorable starter home and bought it. We never looked back and love that we made the decision to make High Springs our home. A dog and two children later, we are still enjoying our starter home and loving every minute of it.

More pics of the beauty of High Springs:






No comments:

Post a Comment